Monday, June 25, 2012

Half Marathon Recap!

I got my happy ass downtown at 6:00 this morning and proceeded to run my happy ass 13.1 miles through Chicago. It was the hardest thing I've ever put myself through...but in the same breath, the most rewarding and exhilerating thing I've ever done.

I have to admit, I was not as dedicated to training as I should have been, especially in the last month with weekend visitors and prior engagements. Don't get me wrong, I ran A LOT but I didn't complete as many "long runs" as I should have. The longest I had completed up until today was eight miles. Many people choke at the thought of running eight miles. Yea, add 5.1 more. 

I did what I was told this weekend and was as lazy as I could be while drinking gallons of water. I had my outfit all picked out and bags packed the night before. I ate a nice, little breakfast and crossed the start line at 7:00am. Overall, it went a lot better than I ever imagined. I stayed very well hydrated so I didn't cramp at all. And the clouds even decided to roll in for about half of the race so that helped the temperatures tremendously. I was doing awesome and keeping a nice pace until I reached mile 10.5-11. It was a small-ish shitshow from there.

Here, why don't I just do a little mile-by-mile recap from what I can remember and the thoughts that crossed my mind....

Mile 1: I'm so awesome. I'm so awesome. I'm so awesome. Look at me, I'm running a half marathon.
Mile 2: I'm thirstyyyy.
Mile 3: WooHoo! Only 10 more miles to go! Think about running a 5K...then think that you have to keep going for 10 more miles. Did it make your butt clench? Yea.
Mile 4: The first of many cups of water I dumped over my head at one of the water stations. The sun started beaming during this mile but this part of the race course was mainly shaded so...phew. 
Mile 5: This was a very good mile. I was still feeling good. I was in the zone. Nothing hurt. Nothing was chaffing. K. 
Mile 6: This was the point in the course where it turned around and started heading back towards where we started. It was mainly along the lake. The temps were rising and the sun was still a shinin' (We ALL know I don't do sun.). For some reason within, I started talking to my Memommy. I just knew she was there with me. And all of a sudden, clouds rolled in and a steady breeze was intact. Whhhoooaaaa.
Mile 7: I think I blacked out during this mile. Meh...
Mile 8: Not one, but TWO eyelashes pulled out of my right eye. Four to five F-bombs dropped in the meantime.
Mile 9: La la laa lalaa why the hell am I doing this lalala la la just get me to ten. Look down to see that my Ipod armband has rubbed a hole in my arm and it's bleeding. Awesomeballs.
Mile 10: Holy shit, I've pretty much just ran ten straight miles. I CAN DO THIS I'M SO AMAZING!!!!!!
Mile 10.5: Send a few texts telling people how awesome I am. 8th cup of water dumped over my head. Throw one down my back for good measure.
Mile 10.75: Oh hey right knee, hip and back. Wanna stop aching? Thanks.
Mile 11: My feet have turned into cement blocks and my legs are steel beams. If I hear one more Britney Spears song through my headphones I'm gonna start punching people. Head in ice bucket at aid station.
Mile 11.15: The sun BEAMS. It has found me and only me and shone a spotlight right on my black-shirted back. Aaaaaaand walking. I'm still awesome, though. 
Mile 11.75: I see a sign someone is holding up: "If it were easy then everyone would be doing it." And I'm running again. No, I'm basically doing a bouncing trot at this point. But I'm still in motion folks and that's all that matters. 
Mile 12-12.75: One big blur. Alternating trotting and walking. Sun beating my ass.
Mile 12.75: Out of the corner of my eye, I see this petite blob running straight towards me. I'm literally about to duck for cover when I realize it's my roommate, Rachel! And she's now beside me, running with me in flip flops and purse on her shoulder. 
Mile 12.95: Rachel is still at my side, clapping and telling me not to stop. And what do you know, those bastards throw in a hill at the home stretch. The ONLY reason I ran and didn't walk up that hill was because of Rachel. 
Mile 13-13.1: Roommate is back on the sidelines and I'm giving it everything I've got. I feel like I'm Will Ferrell in that scene from "Old School" where he gets shot with a tranquilizer dart and everything is in slow motion. 

I crossed the finish line and could have easily cried. I've endured many, many, MANY grueling hours of training to get my BodyStep and BodyPump certifications. None of those hours even came close to those involved with training and completing a half marathon. 

Most people I've talked to said I'd cross the finish line and be so excited to sign up for my next half marathon. I'm going to be honest....I'm probably never going to run again. Not even if a rabid pitbull is chasing me. I absolutely admire those who can run and love it. I wish I could. I WANT to so badly. It's just not in me and that's okay. I'm glad I get to check this off the list and I'm now going to bust my butt looking for group fitness teaching positions around the city. It's my passion and it's what I want to do from now on to keep in shape. 

Many THANKS to everyone who supported me and sent me texts/tweets and kept me motivated! 



Before the race...
Finish line pictures! I could barely stand up right here...
My coworker, Barb, came to cheer me on. She even made me a sign!
The roommate who so graciously ran with me...
Me getting my medal!
DONE!
I did it! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO! So proud of you! It took me 38 minUtEs to rUn a 5k...K.k.

Unknown said...

Love, love, love the part about talking to Memommy and the result of that! She WAS and IS with you every step of your life. Congratulations again!

Love ya!
Aunt M

Jessica said...

I've literally been lol since mile 2. So proud of you! I think you've inspired me to start running again. After all this milk is gone, of course. My boobs are size ZZZ!

Kira Funderburk said...

I am so incredibly proud of you! Just read this post this morning and I am literally laughing out loud while Chloe is looking at me wondering what is going on. You rock and I am sorry I couldn't be there to cheer you on! So proud of you!