Sunday, April 15, 2012

One Year

Wasn't it just yesterday that I was writing this post? I even looked back at this post and it brings tears to my eyes. Now it's been exactly one year since I made the trek up to Chicago in a Budget moving truck. ONE YEAR. And actually, yesterday, me and Rachel were going to run some errands and I just threw on a t-shirt and sweats. I looked in the mirror and it was the exact same outfit I threw on exactly one year ago. Weeeeiiirrrd. (Thank God it still fits, thank you, Chicago style pizza.)

I never told anyone but I had two "uh-oh moments" in the past year where I wasn't sure if I had made the right decision. The first was when Andrea and I had JUST arrived in Chicago. It was 5pm, we had been up since 11pm the night before. It was cold. It was raining. And I had to park that gigantic truck in a 7/11 parking lot and we were waiting on Rachel. We were delirious and starving. I looked over at Andrea, in her starving state (LOL!), got a nauseous feeling and thought to myself, "Oh dear God, what have I done?" That was easily cured with wine, pizza and a warm bed. Phew.

The second was when I got fired from my first job here. This man had me convinced I was great. Then BOOM. No job. I remember sitting on the corner of Wrightwood and Sheridan just crushed. Not only did I question everything I had given up to get to Chicago, I also questioned myself as a hygienist. The only thing I had wanted to do since the age of three. I gave myself one month to get things back on track. And within one day, I had walked into Downtown Dental, handed Jackie my resume and had a full-time, awesome job one week later. I just found out recently that my boss doesn't even consider resumes that are dropped off. But Jackie, the office manager, loved my accent and convinced him to call me. Fate, people....fate.

I'm so happy about my decision (so is Bear and his best friend, Steve!), incase you haven't been reading my blog and realized that the 50 times I've said it. I look out the window everyday at work and still can't believe it. Am I ever going to move back home? I don't know. Not anytime soon. I haven't even really witnessed my first winter here! I honestly feel like I'm just now getting settled.

Things are good. I'm happy. And I like it.

3 comments:

Mrs.Grits said...

Yay! So glad things are going so well for you in Chicago. I'm sure it has been an adjustment but you've come so far in just a year. You're awesome!

Anonymous said...

You are one special, grown up lady! Time flies when you are having fun and it has flown by for you! Keep up your wonderful attitude.

Love you,
Andrea Thomas

Mary said...

Sniff...