Friday, April 29, 2011

2 Weeks!

I think I already have a post titled "2 Weeks" but that was when I had that much time left in the South. And it's hard to believe I've already been LIVING in Chicago for that long. And 2 weeks isn't even that long....but it feels like I've been here for a while. I feel right at home. Like I belong.

Lot of 'longs' in that paragraph....

In the past 14 days, I've packed up/unpacked my life,  driven a 16-foot moving truck across the country, gotten on a completely wrong bus to the straight up hood, passed out resume after resume on foot/bus/train, landed 2 job interviews, put Bear in timeout 28374 times for not sharing with Steve, ran to catch a bus at a stop, eaten Thai and Cuban for the first time, gone to a Cubs game, had Easter lunch with a Greek family and their whole roasted lamb (teeth and all), gone on a date (SHOCKER!) and wore a wool coat and gloves outside while it was 94 degrees in Georgia.

I have officially done more here in 2 weeks than I've done my whole life in South Carolina/Georgia.

Crazy thing happened Wednesday. As I was walking around a random building handing out resumes, I stumbled upon an office that seemed very nice so of course I walked in. Handed my resume to the front desk and left. Five minutes later, getting back on the elevator after a little more wandering...a man walks out, grabs my hand and says "Elizabeth, I'm Dr. G, go back upstairs, talk to my receptionist, I need an appointment to talk to you!" And he's gone. 1) What just happened? 2) How did he know my name? 3) Move outta the way people, I gotta get my ass back upstairs.

I walk deeper into the office to make an interview appointment and notice a yellow flag framed on the hallway wall. Along with 9283743 other pictures of AUGUSTA NATIONAL MEMORABILIA. One of the other staffers behind the desk sees me bent over staring, looks at my resume, says "Oh you're hired" and walks away. Needless to say, the interview went great. We both had a good vibe with each other and he's coincidentally looking to add on another hygienist full-time. I have a working interview tomorrow so I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch....but I have a good feeling about this place.

The second interview was with a really nice Dentist. And it was more or less just me meeting the staff, seeing the office and being offered some fill-in days to work if I could. But hey, the more days the better. Almost every office in the city works on Saturdays which I will really have to get used to. Barf.

Everything is falling into place. Rachel has been great (and very patient with asking about directions to every. place. I. go.). Bear and Steve are best friends. We're actually convinced that they are in love with each other. And we accept that and love them for who they are. Haaaha.

Rachel's British friend is here visiting this week and she is so fun. She is giving us the scoop on all the Royal Family gossip and rules/regulations of the Palace! She even brought Pimm's, a British wine, to drink while we're watching the wedding tomorrow. I think I dislike Kate Middleton *almost* as much as I want to BE her.

Wish me luck on my working interview tomorrow. And say an extra prayer for Jessica and Andy as they have a very eventful weekend in Charleston with their IVF cycle!! Love you two so much!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Ahhhhaha! Thanks for the shoutout...we love you too! How freaky was that about the dentist and Augusta?? It is meant to be!

Anonymous said...

So cool! Just another example of why this was meant to be! Maybe he'll close during Masters week and you get to come home for the tournament! :)

Love, Aunt M

PS...Did you fill out your ticket application info? <3

Elizabeth said...

I felt it was really meant to be too! He closes EVERY Master's Week to go to Augusta if he can get tickets!

I'll message you about the ticket application!