Warning: This is long. K.
The ride to Chicago was interesting to say the least. As previously mentioned, I ordered the 10-foot moving truck thinking that it would be a breeze to drive. I got to the rental office and all they had in stock was the 16-foot truck. Oh, but I was told not to worry because "they get about the same gas mileage". Thanks, the gas mileage is really going to matter when I've creamed into the side of a mountain. Of course, within ten minutes of driving it, I was fairly comfortable behind the wheel. And didn't hit any curbs until I got onto Lake Shore Drive in downtown Chicago. Booyah.
The 16-footer! Even had AM/FM radio!
Me and my co-pilot, Andrea.
Oh Bear.....poor Bear.
This makes me laugh out loud.
After a few tearful goodbyes (I DO have a soul!), I left North Augusta by 12:25am and we were on the road....making amazing timing. I'll have to say my only MINOR freak-out while driving was in Tennessee. In the dark. And we just happened to drive upon a whole city. That I could see from the top of the mountain. I think I peed a little. Andrea was amazing....soothing my nerves and helping me change lanes the whole trip. We tried to take a nap in Kentucky but the wind from the storm approaching woke me up and I figured it'd be a good idea to get back on the road. Indiana was my favorite state, but only because of these things:
WINDFARMS!!!
These little windmill things went on for milessssss! I don't know how I stayed on the road because I. Was. So. Enthralled with these mysteries of the Universe (So many mysteries of the Universe. A post for another day). We finally made it to Chicago around 4:00. Which, I must say, is excellent timing for a girl driving a moving truck and having to stop multiple times for gas, girl bladders and dog bladders. If it wasn't for Andrea, I don't know what I would have done. She's truly amazing. Yes, I drove the whole time, but who the hell can sit there for 15 hours straight, without falling asleep and keep me entertained?! What an angel.
Of course it was raining when we got to Chi and it stayed around until the next day when we had to unload the truck. And of course, the "NO PARKING" signs that Rachel got from the city and put up did not work and a car was still parked right in front. Oh well, the Police told us to block the street anyway. Awesome. I went and picked up the truck from public parking and when I got back, Rachel was basically lying in the now empty space in front of our apartment. The car had moved. And....the rain had stopped. A sign from God that I was supposed to be Chicago if you ask me. Lifting my boxspring up three floors with rope was amazing. I'll let the pictures explain the rest...
Heaven opened up that spot!
Tying that badboy up...
Still preparing...
Rachel is a pro!
That was easy...
Home Sweet Home.
Everything is coming together. We attacked the pile of boxes and I've almost got my life settled here. I have slept like a baby every night and Mr. ShugaBear has been such a good dog. His anxiety went away when he saw all of my stuff, and he climbed right in the middle of the pile and took a nap. He's only taken a few jabs at Steve, his new dog roomate, who is still a puppy. So now, he knows the meaning of time out.
My room is small but perfect and I'm still decorating/hanging things....and waiting for the things I've hung to fall down. K. I walked a mile from the grocery the other day with an arm full of bags which is something I will get used to but what a workout! I will always, ALWAYS, know now to get on the NORTH bus. Not the SOUTH bus. Never go south from the city. Yowza. Maybe all the craziness from the past few days has masked the fact that I moved 900 miles away from home. But, I love it here. I am comfortable here. And I look forward to my life here...
Where's Mr. Bear?
The pile.
The children.
My room!
Still a work in progress...
Tight quarters.






2 comments:
Woohooo! I love your place! I love windmill farms! I love betches...like you! Can't wait to visit:)
So exciting!!! My cousin just moved to Chi to work for American Apparel. Ugh...I need to find a way to come visit. I can get a two for one special! By the way, love Mr. Bear's stairs. Does he actually use them? Thinking about getting some for my little pups.
Post a Comment